Home » Archives by category » All » News » Politics (Page 187)

Annan invites Turkey to Geneva meeting on Syria

Annan invites Turkey to Geneva meeting on Syria

UN envoy Kofi Annan has invited Turkey to the upcoming Geneva meeting of world powers to find ways of ending the violence in Syria. Annan said on Wednesday that the action group for Syria will convene at the ministerial level in Geneva on Saturday. US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Russian Foreign Minister […]

Erdogan:Turkish Military Authorized Against Future Syrian Attacks

Erdogan:Turkish Military Authorized Against Future Syrian Attacks

The growing conflict between Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s Turkish government and Syrian President Bashar Assad’s regime worsened on Friday following the shooting down of a Turkish jet by Syria. Erdogan stated that Turkey will no longer tolerate security threats from Syria along its border. Turkish PM Erdogan spoke to a cheering crowd in the […]

NATO condemns Syria for shooting down Turkish jet

NATO condemns Syria for shooting down Turkish jet

NATO member states condemned Syria on Tuesday for its shooting down of a Turkish military jet, calling it “unacceptable” and demanding that Damascus take steps to prevent further incidents. Ambassadors of NATO’s 28 member states met in Brussels on Tuesday to consult with Turkey on the incident. Turkey, a NATO member, had called for the […]

Potemkin village in Pyongyang?

Potemkin village in Pyongyang?

Sleek and modern: The words are rarely used to describe North Korea. Yet the latest addition to the Pyongyang skyline, a set of new apartments in the central Mansudae district appears from the outside to be just that. But while the North touts it as progress, the jury is still out on the impact of […]

China-NK economic ties benefit S. Korea

China-NK economic ties benefit S. Korea

MANILA –– Growing economic cooperation between China and North Korea could lead to the latter’s economic reform and eventual opening up of its economy to the outside world, experts said. “(South Korea) doesn’t have to look at the strengthening economic relationship between Beijing and Pyongyang only as a threat since China is doing something South […]

Turkey: No intention of war, but Syria’s downing of jet won’t go unpunished

ANKARAㅡ The Spokesperson for the Turkish government and Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc on Monday said that Turkey had no intention of going to war with anyone after one of its jets was shot down by Syria last week and said it would only act in accordance with international law. “Whatever is needed to be done […]

EU condemns Syria’s downing of Turkish Jet, urges probe

EU condemns Syria’s downing of Turkish Jet, urges probe

The foreign ministers of 27 EU members states condemned on Monday Syria’s shooting down of a Turkish military plane and urged a thorough investigation into the incident. “The European Union notes that this is a matter which needs to be investigated thoroughly and urgently,” the EU Council of Ministers said in a statement. The bloc […]

US, N. Korea sowed seeds of doubt

US, N. Korea sowed seeds of doubt

Six decades ago, the U.N. forces led by the United States fought against the North on Korea battlefields, not only with guns but also with thought tactics to defeat the enemy with fewer causalities. Psychological warfare such as propaganda leaflets, posters, and radio shows were widely used during the bloody war which broke out 62 […]

Russia to write off North Korean debt

Russia’s finance ministry said Saturday it has agreed to a plan to write off 90 percent of North Korea’s debt of $11 billion, underscoring what observers say is an interest to boost economic ties with the Stalinist state. The remaining 10 percent will be invested in joint projects in the impoverished North in education as […]

Mohamed Morsy wins Egyptian presidency

Mohamed Morsy wins Egyptian presidency

Mohamed Morsy of the Muslim Brotherhood was elected president of Egypt with 51.7 percent of last weekend’s run-off vote, the state election committee said on Sunday. Thousands of Brotherhood supporters on Cairo’s Tahrir Square were waving national flags and chanting “Allahu Akbar!” or God is Great, greeting Morsy’s victory. Morsy, a 60-year-old, U.S.-educated engineer who […]

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » appearance » Widgets » and move a widget into Advertise Widget Zone